Monday, March 21, 2011

Founding Farmers (DC)

Tonight was the third time I went to Founding Farmers. Some say three times a charm. But others say three strikes you're out. If we have to go with a cheesy adage, the latter wins.

Service: I called ahead and they say they will put me on the wait list and if I get there in 15-20 minutes they will seat me and my boyfriend. I get there in 23 minutes and the hostess asks me who I talked to. I say "Some guy, I don't remember his name." She explains that the guy "doesn't really work there." Hmmm, no idea why he is picking up the phone then... Anyway, she says maybe we will get a table in another 20 minutes. We actually got a table in 10. Despite the nasty-ish hostess, point one for Founding Farmers. Past that though the service was molasses slow-- appetizers came way before the drinks and the only thing that came in less than 10 minutes was the check.

Food: my boyfriend and I ordered fried green tomatoes, bacon wrapped dates, lentil & pork stew, and winter pasta. Nothing was spectacular. The fried green tomatoes proved Paula Dean wrong-- not everything fried is edible. The salt completely overpowered the juice of the tomato. The bacon wrapped dates were mushy and the bacon was limp, like they microwaved it. The lentil & pork stew came with a poached egg on top-- which sounds genius, but ends up being gross because the soup just tastes both burn-your-tongue hot and slippery cold. I thought the pork would be shredded-- instead it manifested itself as lumpy cubes. The winter pasta was decent, but ultimately bland and unexciting.

Drinks: I had the fraise fling-- strawberries, lychee, organic vodka, agave, and Prosecco. I couldn't really taste the lychee but nevertheless, this was one of the best cocktails I have ever had. It was like the fourth of July exploded in my mouth. It took me back to block parties and summer and everything wonderful.

Great place for drinks, but ultimately not worth the hype.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 spoons!

1 comment:

  1. obviously if you had just gorged yourself on bacon lollipops it would have been a better experience. Bacon lollis for the win.

    Love that you're food blogging. This is so much better than reading for torts.

    ReplyDelete