Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Duck & Bunny (Providence, RI)


Hi friends! I'm expanding my horizon and blogging about any and all restaurants! So here's one for you, from Providence, Rhode Island.

The Duck and Bunny is a restaurant with a subtitle. It calls itself a "snuggery": a cosy (sic) and comfortable place. And D&B is both. Picture an intimate comfy tearoom with antiquey looking chandeliers and familiar pictures with a twist (faces are ducks! and bunnies!). D&B is famous for creative crepes and cupcakes. My mother and I ordered bacon wrapped dates, squash "crepolini," and a dessert crepe called the Angelina (blueberry blini, Des Nuages cheese, raspberry chocolate, and lemon zest). Everything was fabulous! The crepolinis were amazing-- think of a cross between a ravioli and a crepe, absolutely smothered in a brown butter, creamy sauce, dotted with dried cranberries. I'm still thinking about those crepolinis! The dessert crepe was also lip-smacking good-- actually two blinis (almost like a small buckwheat pancake), covered by blueberries and raspberry jam. Although the description said chocolate--I couldn't taste it. Des Nuages cheese (almost like ricotta cheese) topped the blinis. The bacon wrapped dates were good (but not great) and came on a bed of balsamic honey glaze. Ultimately, I prefer the dates I make (I stuff mine with honey goat cheese and use the bigger, Medjool dates).

D&B recommends wine pairings with each dish. Providence doesn't quite compare to the food Mecca that is Chicago. So the wine pairings were a very nice touch. My mother recommended I try a Portuguese wine called "vinhno verde." The name literally means "green wine" so I was a bit skeptical. But apparently green does not refer to the color but to the age of the grape (young). It was very nice-- extremely light, with a slight fizz. It's hard to describe the bubbles-- vinho verde doesn't really qualify as a sparkling wine, but there is a definite petillance there, almost like a spritzer. It tasted very fruity, especially paired with the dessert crepe-- it drew out the zest of the lemon. It's low in alcohol and inexpensive (it's a table wine) so I'm looking forward to drinking more!

D&B is snug and savory. And relatively inexpensive ($$). 4.5 of 5 spoons!

1 comment:

  1. I want to go here now! Looks adorable and able to easily satisfy my sweet tooth and daily wine cravings!

    ReplyDelete