Saturday, March 26, 2011

15 Point Road (Portsmouth, RI)


15 Point Road is a beautiful, romantic restaurant, facing the idyllic Sakonnet River. Named the best of Portsmouth for 9 years in a row (2000-2008), it boasts a menu of seafood classics (think littlenecks, lobster bisque, and scrod) as well as steaks, chicken, and lamb. The quiet restaurant evoked childhood memories of the seashore at dusk. My mother and I opted for the price-fixe menu: $19 for a salad, a choice between 5 entrees, dessert, and a glass of wine (red, white, or rose) or beer. The waitress first presented a relatively standard salad-- greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Garden-fresh, but nothing exciting. I had the grilled salmon with Bearnaise sauce and my mother had the 1/2 roast chicken. Both came with crisp steamed broccoli and carrots as well as a baked potato. The salmon tasted bright and simple. But it was nothing spectacular. And the roast chicken was a bit dry but a nice, flavorful Madeira sauce accompanied it. The steamed vegetables were fantastic-- I never eat vegetables, and I was tempted to ask for seconds. They were buttery, but somehow still light. The dessert was easily my favorite part of the meal-- fluffy carrot cake, slathered with velvety cream cheese frosting. Easily one of the best pieces of carrot cake I've eaten. The meal was very good for the price, but I look forward to ordering from the menu next time.

Somewhat expensive ($$$) for on-menu; inexpensive for price-fixe. 3.5 of 5 spoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment