Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dewolf Tavern (Bristol, RI)



Now that the bar exam is over, I hope to be eating & blogging more often!

Last night my parents and I went to Dewolf Tavern. The servers were super friendly, joking with us the moment we stepped in. I loved the attic-rustic-nautical feel. Granite-stone walls and exposed beams, with a view of the harbor. The drink menu featured three different Belgian beers. I'm obsessed with Belgians so already I felt good about this restaurant.

The menu was a bit weird- the restaurant couldn't quite decide what it wanted to be. There was a distinctive British/Indian feel to some of the dishes but others were simply American.

Appetizers:

My dad & shared the lobster popover. I thought it was delicious-- it was absolutely smothered in this mild creamy tomato sauce-- sort of a tomato vodka sauce. The popover itself was a bit soggy but I didn't mind.

Entrees:

I had the Charcoal Tandoor Roasted Natural Chicken. This dark honey-tomato sweet-spice sauce surrounded the chicken. I really liked the sauce- I wish there had been more of it! It was almost like a very very very mild curry sauce. The chicken was a bit dry and smothered in cheese. I wouldn't have minded cheddar cheese which is what the menu claimed. Unless my taste buds were way off, I swear it was covered in swiss cheese, which I'm not a big fan of. The thing I liked most about the dish? The side of Brussel sprout/corn bread hash. Yum! I'm not usually into Brussel sprouts but the corn bread really cut down on the bitter taste of the sprouts. I could have eaten an entire plate.

My dad had the fish stew. I didn't have a bite but he seemed pleased. My mom had the filet mignon with mashed potatoes. I wasn't too impressed with the bite I tried but then again she ordered it medium to medium well. Who ruins a perfectly good piece of meat like that!? I swear growing up I thought I hated red meat but I'm pretty sure it's because my parents insisted on cooking it until it was grey. My mom hates the blood- I call it "meat juice." I don't need it to moo at me, but in my humble opinion anything less than medium rare is a crime against meat. I recently read a study that eating well done meat DOUBLES your risk of bladder cancer. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Drinks:

This was probably the most disappointing part. They didn't have the beer my dad asked for and my cocktail was pretty terrible. On the waitress's recommendation I opted for the coconut cocktail. The rim was pretty fun-- sugary coconut pieces (but I bit messy to drink). The cocktail itself was way too strong. It was so strong it tasted like soap. Honestly, I fixated on the soapy taste. All I can really say about it is that it tasted like when your parents washed out your mouth with soap.

All in all:

Some hit or miss dishes. I'd probably go back for lunch because they seemed to have some interesting sandwiches on Naan bread. I'd definitely go back for the Brussel sprout/corn bread hash.

Price: $$-$$$

Spoons rating: 3.5 of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment