Thursday, August 4, 2011

Angelo's (Providence, RI)




In the middle of the Italian section of Providence, Rhode Island is a gem of a place called Angelo's. Eating at Angelo's is like eating in Nonna's kitchen. Granted, I don't have an Italian grandma but if I did this is how I imagine it would be like. The menu includes tripe and braciola.

There isn't much by way of atmosphere. This is a no frills kind of place-- booths,
no tablecloths, no candles, no water glasses, noisy, family oriented. A toy train on a track attached to the ceiling hums above your head. The walls are covered in family pictures-- weddings from the old county, smiling grandchildren from America. It's comfortable at Angelo's and it's cash only.

The food is delicious, for the most part. The salad and bread is nothing to write home about but the entrees shine. I opted for the chicken parmigiana with a side of freshly made linguine. The chicken portion was huge (I took home leftovers which is a rarity!). The sauce (Angelo's house sauce) turned out to be a very lovely marinara-- very flavorful. I wish there had been more cheese on it but I tend to like an insane amount of mozzarella. The pasta was very fresh-- but perhaps cooked slightly took long-- it was a bit limp, not al dente. My mother had the lasagna-- she said it was a bit mushy but that the noodles were nice and light.

Inexpensive ($$) and definitely worth a second visit. Remember to bring cash!
Three of five spoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment