Sunday, September 4, 2011

Flip Burger Boutique (Birmingham, AL)


I really like Richard Blais. Scratch that, I love Richard Blais. For those of you with a life (which unlike mine, doesn't revolve around delicious food and television shows that revolve around delicious food), Richard Blais is a culinary genius. He won Top Chef all-stars, beating out Mike Isabella (of DC's Graffiato). He also has a burger place in both Atlanta and Birmingham. When I first learned that I was headed to Alabama for a year, one of my first thoughts was that I would get to try his burger place-- Flip Burger Boutique.

So with eager anticipation I headed there the first day I moved to Birmingham. It did not disappoint. It's super trendy looking-- red/black/white motif. Cool high booths and out door seating.

I ordered the nutella & burnt marshmallow milkshake and the "local" burger. This burger was perfect-- grass-fed beef, cheddar cheese, heirloom tomato, grilled vidalia onion, chow chow, and coca cola ketchup. Chow chow, for those of you who are wondering, is this very excellent Southern relish. Anyway, it was probably the best burger I have ever eaten, and it was huge. I ordered it medium rare (is there any other way?). It was oozing in flavor and juice. Tom opted for the captain crunch milkshake with peanut butter foam and the d+lux burger. The d+lux burger is a black diamond beef, seared foie gras, wild mushrooms, fried shallots, red wine jam, and truffle aioli masterpiece. I only had a bite, but it was pretty fantastic. The milkshakes were also amazing-- super filling and creamy. My nutella milkshake really did come with a top burnt level of marshmallows (which was awesome). Tom's milkshake was also awesome, especially the peanut butter foam. We also split some tempura sweet potato fries that came with chocolate salt and a side of truffle ranch dressing. I don't even like sweet potatoes but they were so delicious, especially with the sauce and the chocolate salt.

Ultimately, I cannot wait to go back!

4.5 spoons (the service was a bit slow). Moderately expensive (the burgers were slightly pricey, especially the $21 d+lux).

No comments:

Post a Comment